- Business in Perth County
Living in Perth County
- About Perth County
- Public Notices
- Official Plan - 5 Year Review
- Citizens News
- Stratford-Perth Archives
- County of Perth Official Plan
- EMS - Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Management
- 2-1-1 Service
- Weather & Road Conditions
- Visiting Perth County
- 2014 Municipal Elections
- Strategic Plan
- Joint Service Delivery Review 2014
- Staff Directory
- Provincial Offences Administration
- County of Perth Official Plan
- Energy Conservation Plan
- Applications and Permits
- Tenders and RFPs
- Financial Information
- Member Municipalities
- Other Municipalities
- Other Agencies in Perth County
- Contact Us
Archives - Resources
Information Available for Researchers
Many of the books in the Stratford branch library are now described in the Perth County Information Network's on-line catalogue. Using the "advanced search option", allows you to limit your results to Archives books only. or click here to go directly to the PCIN website.
ARCHEION, Ontario's Archival Information Network, is a publicly available, bilingual, online, searchable gateway to descriptions of archival records located in Ontario. Users can perform full-text and keyword searches, basic and advanced searches, or browse name, title and repository indexes.
Stratford-Perth Archives has submitted many "fonds level" descriptions for records of Perth County and Stratford Women's Institutes and other benevolent societies and lodges.
Records will continue to be added as we work our way through a detailed inventory of the entire Archives collection.
To search the database, click here: www.archeion.ca
Scroll down this page for more information about other resources available at the archives.
- Directories of Perth County 1863-1931
- Directories of Stratford 1876-present
1842-1845, 1847, 1848, 1850 Heads of household census for Huron District (on microfilm)
1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911 Canada census for Perth County (on microfilm)
Available at all three branches.
Avondale Cemetery (Stratford) register 1871-1923 is on microfilm at Stratford. The City of Stratford maintains an on-line index to internments at Avondale Cemetery. Visit: http://www.stratfordcanada.ca/en/livehere/cemetery.asp to search the index.
Perth County Branch OGS cemetery transcriptions (with the exception of Avondale) are available for reference in all three branches and for sale in Stratford.
To narrow down a search to a particular cemetery, search the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid database at http://ocfa.islandnet.com/. This database was created by volunteers from a number of heritage organizations and is intended as a "pointer" database only. It consists of the surnames, given names, cemetery name and location of more than two million interments in Ontario and one county in the province of Quebec. The file does not contain transcriptions or dates, but it does tell the researcher which county, township and cemetery contains a given name.
Tax Assessment Rolls and other municipal records
- Blanshard Twp
- Downie Twp
- North Easthope Twp
- South Easthope Twp
- Ellice Twp
- Fullarton Twp
- Hibbert Twp
- Logan Twp
- Elma Twp
- Mornington Twp
- Wallace Twp
- Atwood Bee 1890 - 1923 Stratford Branch; Listowel Branch
- Der Perth Volksfreund ca 1880s Stratford Branch; Listowel Branch
- Goderich / Huron Signal 1848 - 1936 Stratford Branch
- Listowel Banner 1867 - current Listowel Branch; Stratford Branch (to 2005 only)
- Listowel Standard 1878 - 1943 Stratford Branch; Listowel Branch
- Milverton Sun 1891 - 1992 Stratford Branch; Listowel Branch
- Mitchell Advocate 1860 - 1879; 1918 - present Mitchell Branch; Stratford Branch (to 1982 only)
- Mitchell Recorder 1877 - 1879 Mitchell Branch
- Monkton Times 1907 - 1958 Listowel Branch
- St. Marys Argus 1857 - 1920 (some name variations) Stratford Branch
- St. Marys Journal 1895 - 1920 Stratford Branch
- St. Marys Journal - Argus 1920 - 1939 Stratford Branch
- Stratford Beacon (weekly) 1855 - 1890s Stratford Branch
- Stratford Beacon (daily) 1887 - 1923 Stratford Branch
- Stratford Herald (weekly) 1855 - 1890s Stratford Branch
- Stratford Herald (daily) 1887 - 1923 Stratford Branch
- Stratford Beacon Herald 1923 - current Stratford Branch
- Stratford Mirror 1920s - 1940s Stratford Branch
- Stratford Times 1964 -1976 Stratford Branch
- Stratford Weekly News 1979 - 1980 Stratford Branch
- Tavistock Gazette 1900 - 1986 Stratford Branch
All three branches of the Archives have clipping files and scrapbooks as well as newspaper microfilms.
Records from Perth County churches of various denominations have been photocopied or microfilmed and are available at Stratford, Mitchell or Listowel branches. A few original records are stored at Stratford. Microfilm of the original civil marriage registers (based on returns from clergy) for London District 1832-1853, Huron District 1841-1849 and Perth County 1858-1869 are available at the Stratford branch. Indexed transcriptions of these registers have been published and are available in our reference libraries. Stratford branch also has microfilm copies of the Perth County Clerk of the Peace Baptism, Marriage and Death Register and related returns, 1853-1869. They have also been transcribed, indexed and published and the book available in our reference libraries.
Wills & Estate Files
- Stratford branch has microfilm copies of the Perth County Index to Wills, 1854-1964 and microfilm copies of the corresponding estate files up to 1930.
- Listowel and Mitchell branches have microfilm copies of the indexes only.
Province-wide vital statistics indexes as microfilmed and sold by the Archives of Ontario are available for all of Ontario in the Stratford, Listowel and Mitchell branches. The Perth County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society generously purchases these films as they are released each year and makes them available in our reading rooms. We currently have indexes from 1869 for births up to 1914, marriages up to 1929 and deaths up to 1939.
Stratford branch also has the full marriage registration records for Perth County on microfilm for 1869 -1922.
For Births 1915-present, Marriages 1930-present, and Deaths 1940-present, contact the Office of the Registrar General at:
Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road, 3rd Floor
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8
In Toronto 416-325-8305
Toll-free Outside Toronto 1-800-461-2156
Fax: (807) 343-7459
Pre-1869 records of civil registrations of births, deaths and marriages created by local officials for the Huron District and Perth County are also available on microfilm and as published, indexed transcriptions in our branch reference libraries.
The archives holds microfilm copies and some originals of the records and Tweedsmuir histories of many of the Women's Institutes in Perth County.