- Business in Perth County
Living in Perth County
- About Perth County
- Perth County Tartan
- Public Notices
- Official Plan - 5 Year Review
- Citizens News
- Stratford-Perth Archives
- County of Perth Official Plan
- Paramedic Services
- Emergency Management
- 2-1-1 Service
- Opportunity Lives Here
- Roundabout Information
- Weather & Road Conditions
- Perth County Tourism
- Strategic Plan and Business Plans
- 2008 Shared Services Review
- Joint Service Delivery Review 2014
- Staff Directory
- Provincial Offences Administration
- County of Perth Official Plan
- Energy Conservation Plan
- Applications and Permits
- Tenders and RFPs
- Financial Information
- Member Municipalities
- County Services Complaints
- Contact Us
Archives - Resources
Information Available for Researchers
Many of the books in the Stratford Perth Archives reference library are now described in the Perth County Information Network's on-line catalogue. Using the "advanced search option", allows you to limit your results to Archives books only. or click here to go directly to the PCIN website.
ARCHEION, Ontario's Archival Information Network, is a publicly available, bilingual, online, searchable gateway to descriptions of archival records located in Ontario. Users can perform full-text and keyword searches, basic and advanced searches, or browse name, title and repository indexes.
Stratford-Perth Archives has submitted many "fonds level" descriptions for records of Perth County and Stratford Women's Institutes and other benevolent societies and lodges.
Records will continue to be added as we work our way through a detailed inventory of the entire Archives collection.
To search the database, click here: www.archeion.ca
Scroll down this page for more information about other resources available at the archives.
- Directories of Perth County 1863-1931
- Directories of Stratford 1876-present
1842-1845, 1847, 1848, 1850 Heads of household census for Huron District (on microfilm)
1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911 Canada census for Perth County (on microfilm)
Avondale Cemetery (Stratford) register 1871-1923 is available on microfilm. The City of Stratford maintains an on-line index to internments at Avondale Cemetery. Visit: http://www.stratfordcanada.ca/en/livehere/cemetery.asp to search the index.
Perth County Branch OGS cemetery transcriptions are available for reference.
To narrow down a search to a particular cemetery, search the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid database at http://ocfa.islandnet.com/. This database was created by volunteers from a number of heritage organizations and is intended as a "pointer" database only. It consists of the surnames, given names, cemetery name and location of more than two million interments in Ontario and one county in the province of Quebec. The file does not contain transcriptions or dates, but it does tell the researcher which county, township and cemetery contains a given name.
Tax Assessment Rolls and other municipal records
- Blanshard Twp
- Downie Twp
- North Easthope Twp
- South Easthope Twp
- Ellice Twp
- Fullarton Twp
- Hibbert Twp
- Logan Twp
- Elma Twp
- Mornington Twp
- Wallace Twp
- Atwood Bee 1890 - 1923
- Der Perth Volksfreund ca 1880s
- Goderich / Huron Signal 1848 - 1936
- Listowel Banner 1867 - current
- Listowel Standard 1878 - 1943
- Milverton Sun 1891 - 1992
- Mitchell Advocate 1860 - 1879; 1918 - present
- Mitchell Recorder 1877 - 1879
- Monkton Times 1907 - 1958
- St. Marys Argus 1857 - 1920 (some name variations)
- St. Marys Journal 1895 - 1920
- St. Marys Journal - Argus 1920 - 1939
- Stratford Beacon (weekly) 1855 - 1890s
- Stratford Beacon (daily) 1887 - 1923
- Stratford Herald (weekly) 1855 - 1890s
- Stratford Herald (daily) 1887 - 1923
- Stratford Beacon Herald 1923 - current
- Stratford Mirror 1920s - 1940s
- Stratford Times 1964 -1976
- Stratford Weekly News 1979 - 1980
- Tavistock Gazette 1900 - 1986
The Archives has clipping files and scrapbooks as well as newspaper microfilms.
Records from Perth County churches of various denominations have been photocopied or microfilmed and are available. A few original records are available. Microfilm of the original civil marriage registers (based on returns from clergy) for London District 1832-1853, Huron District 1841-1849 and Perth County 1858-1869 are available. Indexed transcriptions of these registers have been published and are available in our reference library. WE have microfilm copies of the Perth County Clerk of the Peace Baptism, Marriage and Death Register and related returns, 1853-1869. They have also been transcribed, indexed and published and the book available in our reference library.
Wills & Estate Files
- Microfilm copies of the Perth County Index to Wills, 1854-1964 and microfilm copies of the corresponding estate files up to 1930.
Province-wide vital statistics indexes as microfilmed and sold by the Archives of Ontario are available for all of Ontario. The Perth County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society generously purchases these films as they are released each year and makes them available in our reading rooms. We currently have indexes from 1869 for births up to 1914, marriages up to 1929 and deaths up to 1939.
Marriage registration records for Perth County on microfilm for 1869 -1922.
For Births 1915-present, Marriages 1930-present, and Deaths 1940-present, contact the Office of the Registrar General at:
Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road, 3rd Floor
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8
In Toronto 416-325-8305
Toll-free Outside Toronto 1-800-461-2156
Fax: (807) 343-7459
Pre-1869 records of civil registrations of births, deaths and marriages created by local officials for the Huron District and Perth County are also available on microfilm and as published, indexed transcriptions.
The archives holds microfilm copies and some originals of the records and Tweedsmuir histories of many of the Women's Institutes in Perth County.